Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gender Differences at Work

In Chapter Seven, I was reading about the gender differences at work. The text says that men and women communicate differently; men are constantly trying to vie for status, while women are seeking connections when they communicate. Men are known to use report talk while speaking, where as women use rapport talk. Report talk is a a demonstration of skill, knowledge, ability, and instrumentality. It demonstrates command and is direct and assertive. Tends to demonstrate terms rather than personal experiences. Rapport talk is the opposite where women try to relate by using matching experiences, provides support, responsiveness, tentativeness, and is personal. These differences cause trouble talk, when men and women have different ways of interpreting the conversation.
I can relate to the description used for women in this chapter, I do talk to gain support or give support, I am always listening carefully to others, and it is normally about personal aspects of my life. On the other hand, when it comes to a work environment I tend to be very assertive and direct. I like to get my point across and be straightforward. When reading the descriptions I also related to how the men are and I think that is because of my dominant, blunt personality. This makes me think that women are able to use report talk, especially when at work.

2 comments:

  1. I find that in the workplace when it is an environment dominated heavily by women, that often times when someone keeps to themselves or doesn't participate in group activities, it is perceived negatively. Since building rapport is an important means of communication for women, not bonding with the group singles an individual out as not being a team player. This is my personal experience and it may vary for others. I often find that in trying to stay away from office gossip, that makes me the target of more drama than I'd like. In some instances it may be intentional and in others, it may just be miscommunication. Women are certainly capable of report talk, just like men, but I think it may take a more conscious effort on the woman's part to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that you are able to be assertive at work; you are way ahead of many other women out there. I also can relate to what the chapter expresses about how men and women communicate. As a woman I do feel that I would rather have personal connections and friendships then trying to be the top dog. Sometimes I feel men can truly be a little too macho and forget that relationships are a good thing. Granted women do need to talk, gossip, and express themselves more than men, or at least differently. When my boyfriend and I get in an argument I want to fix it right then and there and he just wants to forget it and never talk about it again, even if there is no solution, and that drives me nuts! I think men and women will forever butt heads when it comes to communicating, but at least it makes life interesting.

    ReplyDelete